After initially becoming popular in the 1960s with the creation of dialyzers for home use, at-home hemodialysis is experiencing a newfound resurgence. Today’s technology and advances allow for easier-to-use equipment, home delivery of supplies and blood work monitoring that's done remotely by phone.
Meet Your At-Home HD Treatment Team
Your nephrologist (kidney doctor)
Your at-home hemodialysis nurse
Your social worker
Fresenius Kidney Care customer service team
10 tips for getting the most out of at-home hemodialysis:
- Complete all of your training sessions on schedule with your care partner.
- Stick to your prescribed treatment schedule—and finish each full HD session.
- Ask questions, get informed and share the information with your care partner, family and friends.
- Take care of your treatment area and your access site.
- Take all of your medicines exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Keep your appointments and participate in every home check-in.
- Follow your customized meal plan from your dietitian.
- Exercise as recommended by your doctor.
- Prioritize yourself and your health.
- Let your treatment team know if you have any health changes.
Last but not least, be sure to tell your treatment team exactly how you’re doing.