Rustic Flatbread with Italian Sausage & Asparagus
Italian sausage, asparagus and eggs all come together to top this flavorful, easy flatbread pizza. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and parsley. Good for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
: Serves 4 (1 serving = 7 ounces)
- 4 eggs, beaten and slightly scrambled
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup bell peppers, roasted
- 6 ounces hot or mild Italian sausage links
- 1½ cups asparagus (or broccoli rabe), blanched and chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, low sodium, shredded
- Optional garnish: shaved parmesan, fresh basil leaves, chopped and ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 g|
- Preheat oven to 400° F and heat grill to hot. (If you don’t have a grill use a George Foreman®-style grill.)
- Bake sausage links uncovered for 20 minutes or until cooked through. After sausage has cooled, cut links into thin slices.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts, roll or stretch out until you reach about 5"–6" diameter. Lightly oil all rounds with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill on both sides until slightly browned and crisp, then set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining oil and sauté garlic, roasted peppers and asparagus. When the garlic is slightly browned, remove the pan from heat and add sausage.
- Spread equal amounts of cheese on flatbread crust, then layer eggs, and then add the sausage asparagus mix. Bake on sheet tray for 5–7 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove flatbread. Cut into desired pieces and serve.
Optional: Garnish with shaved parmesan, chopped fresh basil and red pepper flakes.