Recommended Phosphorus Intake
- Increased risk of hip fractures
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease, which is a disease of the heart and blood vessels
What foods are high in phosphorus?Fast food is a big one. Flavored beverages, too. There is also hidden phosphorus in many processed foods and drinks. They`re known as added "PHOS." And they are foes to heart and bone health.
What can you do to limit your phosphorus? Start by learning some basic high- and low-phosphorus foods.
PHOSPHORUS BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL, YES, PHOSPHORUS
- Phosphoric acid
- Sodium phosphates
- Monocalcium phosphates
- Anything with "PHOS"
WAY TO THRIVE
Hidden phosphorus: what nutrition labels don't tell you
Phosphorus occurs naturally in foods like dairy products, fish, poultry, red meats, nuts, whole grains and beans. And phosphorus is commonly added in the form of phosphates to foods that never contained them before. Why?
Phosphates are added to:
- Enhance the flavor and color of foods
- Improve the texture and prevent lumpiness
- Extend the shelf life of food
All phosphorus is not created equal. Naturally occurring phosphorus in foods is absorbed less readily than chemical phosphorus additives. Look for "PHOS" in food labels and try to steer clear of them!
IS ADDED TO:
- Salad dressings
- Bakery products
- Instant puddings & gelatins
Meats loaded with hidden phosphates
- Processed meats
- “Reconstructed meats” like chicken nuggets
- Hot dogs
- Deli meats
Drinks with hidden phosphates
- Sodium hexametaphosphate (flavored waters)
- Phosphoric acid (carbonated drinks)
Choose drinks in glass bottles
- Iced teas
- Sports drinks
- Flavored waters
- Fruit punch