Chicken Pot Pie Stew
A delicious but simple one-pot meal. Fresh chicken, cream, sweet peas, carrots, and onions are combined to create a tasty chicken stew. Pour into mugs, and garnish with buttery piecrust and Cheddar cheese. Yum!
: Serves 8 (1 serving = 1 cup portion)
- 1½ pounds “natural” fresh chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup fresh carrots, diced
- ½ cup fresh onions, diced
- ¼ cup fresh celery, diced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free Italian seasoning (e.g., McCormick)
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon® Chicken Base (low sodium)
- ½ cup fresh frozen sweet peas, thawed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 frozen piecrust, cooked and broken in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
- Pound chicken to tenderize and cut into small cubes.
- Place chicken and stock into large stockpot and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix oil and flour until well blended.
- Then slowly pour and stir into chicken broth mixture until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to medium low or low for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions, celery, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and bouillon. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and then add peas and cream. Stir until mixed well. Serve into mugs and top with equal amounts of cheese and piecrust as garnish.
TIP: For easy cutting, freeze pounded chicken breasts for 30 minutes before cutting into cubes. Always refrigerate or freeze fresh meat or poultry immediately or within 2 hours of purchase or preparation.
Alternative crock-pot preparation:
- Set crock-pot on high for 4 hours.
- Add oil and sauté carrots, onions, and celery for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add flour and stir until paste begins to form, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, stock, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and bouillon. Stir until mixed well.
- Cover and let cook, stirring about once every hour. About half an hour before finished cooking, add cream and peas and stir. Cover and stir periodically for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Top with piecrust pieces and cheese to serve.