Chili Cornbread Casserole
Not many people do comfort food the way our Chef McCargo does. This casserole combines moist cornbread with hearty chili to create a taste-bud treat your family and friends won’t soon forget.
: Serves 8 (1 serving = 8 ounces)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, chopped
- ½ cup red or green peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce, no added salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup French’s® Worcestershire sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup milk
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.7 g|
- In a large saucepot, brown ground beef with onions, celery, jalapeños and bell peppers. Drain any excess oil. Add chili powder, garlic powder, onion flakes, cumin, black pepper, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and beans. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into 9" x 9" baking pan, then layer cheese.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, melted butter, oil and milk. Fold flour mixture and egg mixture together (you should see some lumps, which is fine, don’t over beat).
- Pour mixture over chili and bake for 25 minutes uncovered, then 20 minutes covered and then turn off oven and let rest for 5 minutes.