Red Cabbage Casserole
A valentine for your taste buds. Savor the sweet, mellow taste of red cabbage, slow cooked with red wine vinegar, brown sugar, onion, apple, pepper and butter.
: Serves 8 (1 serving = ½ cup)
- 1 medium fresh red cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Mix all ingredients except butter in a large bowl. Transfer to casserole dish. Dot with butter.
- Cover casserole dish and cook at 300° F for 2 ½ hours.
TIP: Makes the perfect side dish with pork entrées.
Contributed by: Clarice, Fresenius Medical Care Berwyn, Illinois. Originally published in Renal Culinary Gourmet Cookbook.