Smothered Pork Chops and Sautéed Greens
Southern comfort for the palate: crispy pan-fried pork chops, smothered with sautéed onions, pepper, paprika, garlic and scallions and served with a side of sautéed collard greens.
: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 pork chop, 1/6 sautéed greens)
- Smothered Pork Chops:
- 6 pork loin chops (“natural” center cut, bone-in)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 ½ cups fresh onions, sliced
- ½ cup fresh scallions, sliced on the bias
- Sautéed Greens:
- 8 cups fresh collard greens, chopped and blanched
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup onions, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.3 g|
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix black pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder together. Use half of mixture to season both sides of the pork chops and mix the other half with 1 cup flour.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of flour mix for later.
- Lightly coat pork chops with seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven or oven-ready sauté pan (no rubber handles) on medium-high.
- Fry pork chops for 2–4 minutes on each side or until desired crispness. Remove from pan and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Cook onions until translucent, about 4–6 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of reserved flour and mix well with onions for about 1 minute.
- Slowly, add beef stock and stir until thickened.
- Return pork chops to pan and coat with sauce. Cover or wrap with foil and cook in oven for at least 30–45 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove from oven and let rest at least 5–10 minutes before serving.
- To blanch greens, add greens to a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Strain boiling water off and quickly transfer to ready bowl of ice and water.
- Let cool, then strain and dry greens and set aside.
- In large sauté pan on medium-high heat, melt butter and oil together. Add onions and garlic, cook until slightly browned, about 4–6 minutes.
- Add collard greens and black and red pepper and cook for 5–8 minutes on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add vinegar if desired and stir.