Spaghetti and Asparagus Carbonara
Quick and easy to make, this savory pasta dish makes a delicious and satisfying meal. Add chicken or salmon for extra protein.
: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh onions, diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked spiral noodle pasta, cooked al dente (about 1 ½ cups raw)
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, chopped (about 1” long pieces)
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked coarse black pepper
- ½ cup fresh scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits (meatless)
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.4 g|
- In a large nonstick sauté pan, over medium-high heat, heat the oil and sauté the onions until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the egg and the cream until thoroughly mixed.
- Lower the heat to medium and pour the cream mixture into the onions, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it starts to thicken, about 4–6 minutes.
- Add the stock, pasta, asparagus and black pepper and continue to stir for an additional 3–4 minutes or until warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and pour the carbonara into a serving dish. Top with scallions, bacon bits and cheese and serve.