Making a Plan For
CKD Treatment

When you’re learning to manage chronic kidney disease (CKD), a little planning can go a long way. Take some time to get organized and know what to expect. By getting involved in the planning, you can help shape your life on treatment—and thrive.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT TREATMENT FOR YOU 

Whether you’re getting ready for dialysis or want to switch to a different type of dialysis, our Treatment Decision Guide can help you decide what treatment options might be best for you.
Download the guide
Managing dialysis costs

Hi! I’m Judy,
Financial Coordinator at Fresenius Kidney Care

Once you become a patient, a financial coordinator can guide you on:

  • What steps to take before starting dialysis treatment 
  • Understanding dialysis costs 
  • Reviewing your insurance options 
  • Potential additional health coverage options you may qualify for

Managing the cost of dialysis

Preparing financially and figuring out coverage before you go on dialysis can be a big relief. Dialysis costs can vary depending on your insurance coverage, individual health plan and any other insurance or financial aid programs for which you may be eligible. The good news is that you don’t have to figure it out alone. When you sign up for treatment, your Fresenius Kidney Care financial coordinator can help guide you through the process.


Review your options before you change your insurance

It’s important to keep any health insurance coverage you already have since a diagnosis of kidney failure may make it difficult to get a new plan. Be sure to stay current with your premiums—and if you’re concerned about affording your payments, there may be other options available to you. Consider going to healthcare.gov (external link) for more information.


Find out about additional coverage options

Learn how Medicare or Medicare Advantage (external links) can help cover the cost of dialysis treatments and medications. For example, if you have Original Medicare, you will pay a 20% coinsurance of the Medicare-approved amount for all covered dialysis-related services and Medicare will pay the remaining 80%. If you have a Medicare Advantage or Medicare supplement plan, you may be able to get additional coverage. When you use Fresenius Kidney Care services, your financial coordinator can help you learn about all your healthcare coverage options.

The basics: understanding types of health insurance

Once you choose Fresenius Kidney Care services, your financial coordinator will contact you to discuss your insurance coverage and walk you through all the different insurance types, coverage opportunities and timing requirements in your area. Feel free to reach out to your financial coordinator with any questions you may have. You can also contact your existing healthcare plan’s customer service for information.

Employer icon

Employer Group Health Plans

Insurance offered through your or your spouse’s job leverages group buying power and may offer better rates. If you or your spouse lose that job, you may be able to continue your insurance through COBRA.
State and Federal icon

State and Federal

Several government-sponsored programs provide health coverage and the federal government may pay up to 80% of all dialysis costs for most people on dialysis. Programs include: MedicareMedicare Advantage, Medigap, Medicaid Risk, TRICARE, VA and CHAMPVA, Indian Health Service, state high-risk insurance pools and state kidney programs. Your financial coordinator can help determine which of the options may be available to you.
Unique person profile icon

Private/Individual

Private health insurance plans are purchased by the individual and not obtained through work or as part of government-sponsored programs. There are 2 major types of private health plans: managed healthcare, which uses a network of doctors; and indemnity health, which can be used with most providers.

ANY QUESTIONS? WE'RE HERE TO HELP.

Contact us to visit a center, learn about dialysis or ask any related questions. We'll get you the answers you need.
CONTACT US
What information to bring to your dialysis appointments

Whether you choose at-home or in-center dialysis, you’ll be asked to bring your insurance card and medication benefit card to your appointments at the 
dialysis center. This ensures that your health plan will be billed correctly.

Dialysis plan conversation

Need help paying for medications?

Make sure you know what’s covered under your insurance plan. You can also ask your social worker about programs that may be available to help you pay for your medications.

Fresenius Medical Center

Looking for a dialysis center?

We can help you find a Fresenius Kidney Care dialysis center near you.
TRY OUR CENTER LOCATOR

SHARE ANY COMMENTS FROM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY ASAP

If you receive information about your coverage, please let your financial coordinator know immediately so he or she can help with time-sensitive decisions.