- Understanding Chronic Kidney Disease
- Kidney Disease Stages
- How Kidneys Work
- What to Expect
- Managing Kidney Disease
- Take Our Free Class – KidneyCare:365
Nutrition Basics: What Is Potassium?
WHAT TO REMEMBER:
Moderate your potassium—avoid too little or too much.
How much potassium per day is right for me?
A healthy range for your potassium level is 3.5-5.0 mEq/L if you’re living with a CKD and 3.5-5.5 mEq/L if you have ESRD. If your potassium level is too high or too low, your care team can help you choose the best fruits and vegetables in the right amount to maintain a healthy potassium balance. Some example are listed below.
What causes high potassium?
Healthy kidneys help regulate potassium levels. In early stage CKD, your potassium level may stay normal. In later-stage CKD, as kidneys lose function, your potassium level may get too high—or too low. If your potassium level is too high, work with your dietitian and your care team to get it back into your target potassium range. It’s important to address a high potassium level immediately, since it puts your health at serious risk.
Find out how to lower potassium levels
Here are some tips for lowering potassium in your diet:
- Try salt-free and potassium-free herbs and spices—avoid “salt substitutes” that contain potassium chloride.
- Check ingredient lists for added potassium—especially in processed foods labeled “low sodium” or “reduced sodium.”
- If you’re on dialysis, complete all of your treatments exactly as prescribed—to help maintain the target potassium level.
- Talk to your care team if you have any digestive issues, high blood sugar or are taking any herbal and/or vitamin supplements—these may affect your potassium level.
Nutrition Basics: What is Phosphorus?
Phosphorus is a mineral found in many foods. It works with calcium to build strong, healthy bones. When your kidneys can...
Nutrition Basics: What is Albumin?
Albumin is a type of protein made by your liver that helps keep fluid in your blood stream and helps carry vitamins and nutrients...