Thriving on Dialysis
Managing Your Time on Dialysis
ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF
At-home dialysis may be one of the best ways for you to do dialysis. Find out if starting or switching to at-home dialysis is right for you.
7 tips for getting the most out of your time
Every dialysis minute counts
It’s critical to plan enough time to complete your full dialysis treatment that is recommended by your doctor. Even cutting your treatment short by 5 minutes can have a cumulative impact. You may not feel the effects of shortened or missed treatments immediately, but not getting enough dialysis allows waste to accumulate in your body over time—which can cause serious health complications. So make the time for treatment!
Need more reasons to stay for your full treatment?
Make sure you get quality rest
How to get the most out of your sleep:
- Go to bed and wake up at roughly the same time every day
- Create an optimal sleeping environment—cool, quiet and dark
- Take a few moments to clear your head before you go to bed
- Don’t nap if you can—especially during dialysis treatment (unless it’s nocturnal dialysis)
- Exercise regularly, several hours before bed
- Eat light meals and drink only small amounts of liquid before bed
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine—they can disturb sleep