Managing Your Time on Dialysis

It’s a common belief that dialysis can be all-consuming, but on average, dialysis will only take up about 10% of your time. That leaves a lot of hours for all the other things that are important to you!
Ninety-ten rule of dialysis. 90% is spent on life's pursuits like family, friends, work, travel, exercise, relaxing, socializing, and cooking. The other 10% is spent receiving dialysis treatments.

LEARN ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF HOME DIALYSIS

There are big benefits to home dialysis—including greater flexibility and fewer restrictions, so you can keep the lifestyle you love. Find out if starting or switching to home dialysis treatment is right for you.
Learn More

7 tips for getting the most out of your time 

  • Checkmark icon
    Schedule your dialysis treatments—even when you do your dialysis treatment at home, having a set schedule can make it easier to establish what’s really free time.
  • Time running out icon
    Allot for your full dialysis session—including travel time to and from the dialysis center, and monthly meetings with your treatment team.
  • Calendar icon
    Keep a calendar—electronically or on paper, so you don’t over schedule yourself—or miss out on something important.
  • Manage time icon
    Create a routine for the big stuff—take your medicine at the same time, keep a regular bedtime, and make a habit of things like exercising and weekly grocery shopping, in addition to dialysis or doctor appointments.
  • Clock icon
    Make time for work, volunteering or a pastime you lovestaying productive can be rewarding in many ways.
  • Play media icon
    Schedule some fun things—concerts, dinner parties, art lessons, gardening—if it’s important to you, block out the time for it. Planning simple pleasures like eating a favorite meal or watching a TV show can help brighten a treatment day.
  • Thinking icon
    Utilize your treatment time—you’ll have downtime on dialysis, so use it for reading, browsing recipes, listening to your favorite music, going through mail, stretching, or writing in a journal. Some people also prefer nighttime (nocturnal) dialysis either at-home or in-center because it allows them more time during the day. If you’re considering nighttime treatments at a center, check to make sure they offer it.

FEEL YOUR BEST ON DIALYSIS

See why you can feel better, live longer and avoid the hospital when you stay for your full dialysis treatment.
LEARN MORE

Every dialysis minute counts

It’s critical to plan enough time to complete your full dialysis treatment that is recommended by your doctor. Even cutting your treatment short by 5 minutes can have a cumulative impact. You may not feel the effects of shortened or missed treatments immediately, but not getting enough dialysis allows waste to accumulate in your body over time—which can cause serious health complications. So make the time for treatment!

Learn how you can feel better, live longer and stay out of the hospital by staying for your full dialysis treatment.


Need more reasons to stay for your full treatment?

Your body needs a full treatment to achieve your best results. Getting a full amount of treatment: helps you live longer, keeps you out of the hospital, improves your overall health, and makes you feel better. Not receiving your full treatment: shortening 3 or more sessions per month can result in 20% higher risk of death, and skipping 30 minutes of dialysis per treatment equals 2 months worth of dialysis.

Make sure you get quality rest

After treatment, you may feel a bit washed out. If you’re not getting enough sleep after dialysis treatments, it can cloud your decision making and throw you off your schedule. So it’s important for you to get a reasonable amount of sound, restorative sleep every night.
Working out on dialysis

How to get the most out of your sleep:

  • Go to bed and wake up at roughly the same time every day
  • Create an optimal sleeping environment—cool, quiet and dark
  • Take a few moments to clear your head before you go to bed
  • Don’t nap if you can—especially during dialysis treatment (unless it’s nocturnal dialysis)
  • Exercise regularly, several hours before bed
  • Eat light meals and drink only small amounts of liquid before bed
  • Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine—they can disturb sleep

TAKE OUR FREE CKD CLASS

Learn about kidney function, nutrition, treatment options and how to thrive with kidney disease.

Learn more now