Black Bean Burger & Cilantro Slaw
Enjoyed by meat lovers and vegetarians alike! Black beans and spices come together to deliver a flavorful veggie burger topped with zesty coleslaw.
: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 burger)
- ½ cup black beans rinsed, drained, dried and mashed (low sodium)
- ½ cup bulgur wheat (to make: mix ½ cup hot water with ½ cup bulgur wheat and let set for 30 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon French’s® Worcestershire sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon® beef, reduced sodium
- ½ cup onions, sautéed until translucent
- ¼ cup scallions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups slaw mix (10-ounce bag) (often called power blend)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil for searing*
- ¼ cup lime juice
- zest of one lime
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 6 hamburger rolls
Nutrition Per Serving
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.7 g|
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix black beans, bulgur wheat, ground black pepper, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, beef bouillon, onions and the ½ cup of scallions.
- Mold about ½ cup of mixture into burgers and freeze or refrigerate until firm (not frozen).
- Make vinaigrette by mixing vinegar, 1 tablespoon of cilantro, sesame oil and lime juice. In a small bowl, add all but 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette to slaw mix, and gently mix, then set aside in fridge.
- In another small bowl, mix mayonnaise and remaining 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and set aside.
- Dust black bean burgers with flour and remove excess. Place on presprayed pan, and spray the tops of the burgers as well. Bake for 14 minutes and flip burgers about halfway through.
- Toast rolls and spread equal amounts of mayo. Add black bean burger and then top with about ¼ cup (or desired amount) of slaw.
*Optional: Lightly pan sear the black bean burger on medium-high with canola oil for about 3–4 minutes on each side if you're in a hurry.