much—can really impact your overall health.
Eating Well on Dialysis
To feel your best and do your best on dialysis, a carefully thought-out meal plan will play a big role. Your dietitian can help you figure out how to incorporate foods you enjoy—and still stay within your dialysis diet guidelines.
Power up on protein with dialysis
This is the opposite of what you do when you are at the earlier stages of chronic kidney disease. Now that you’re on dialysis, your protein needs are much higher. That’s because you lose protein during treatments.
You need 8 to 10 ounces of protein-rich foods every day
DIALYSIS DIET GUIDELINES:
1. Too little protein
2. Too many fluids
3. Too much sodium
4. Too much potassium
5. Too much phosphorus
High-protein snacks for a dialysis dietMini meals and snacks can be a great way to fit more protein into your day.
Here are some tasty tips:
H2O control: limit fluids with dialysis
Limit fluids to feel better, stay healthier
Too much fluid may cause buildup between dialysis sessions, which results in:
- Headaches and low energy
- Swelling in your face, hands and feet (edema)
- Trouble breathing from fluid in your lungs
- Heart damage from stretching your heart with too much fluid
- High blood pressure that can lead to a stroke
Fluids aren’t just what you drink
- Ice cream, sherbet, sorbet (1/2 cup = 1/2 cup fluid = 4 fluid ounces)
- Popsicles (1 twin stick = 1/4 cup fluid = 2 fluid ounces)
- Nutritional drinks
- Gelatin (Jell-O) (1/2 cup = 1/2 cup fluid = 4 fluid ounces)
- Ice cubes, ice chips (1 cup = 1/2 cup fluid = 4 fluid ounces)
LESS SALT = LESS THIRST = FEELING BETTER
Five tips for limiting fluids and still quenching your thirst
- Drink from small cups or glasses.
- Eat a piece of cold or frozen fruit.
- A little ice can quench thirst more than the same amount of liquid. Try freezing regular or diet ginger ale or apple juice into slushes or popsicles.
- Suck on a piece of regular or sugar-free hard candy, an ice cube, a lemon wedge, or frozen grapes, or chew regular or sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva.
- Spread out your fluids evenly throughout the day.